[open-science] HACKATHON-Semantic Web Identifiers for bioscience

Matt Jones jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
Fri Dec 2 19:46:00 UTC 2011

Puneet --

Just some relevant pointers... I'm sure you've already come across the TDWG
(Taxonomic Databases Working Group) standards for publishing biological
taxonomies, names, and concepts, such as the Taxonomic Concept Transfer
Schema (TCS; http://www.tdwg.org/standards/117/).  Also relevant are
implementations of semantic concept linking at http://taxonconcept.org, as
well as more traditional links to taxon names through the Global Names
Index (GNI; http://www.globalnames.org/)?

PS I was involved in discussions about paleodb.org when Alroy first
launched it at NCEAS; I'm happy to see its had such longevity and is
supporting such an effective open data community.

Matt Jones
NCEAS, UC Santa Barbara