[open-science] How CC-BY can become TA

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Dec 15 12:58:58 UTC 2011

On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 10:43 AM, Thomas Kluyver <takowl at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 15 December 2011 03:24, Peter Murray-Rust <pm286 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>> I would feel more strongly about supporting GreenOA if we actually built
>> an index of it - it's not fair to expect the scholarly poor to traverse the
>> tangle of badly organised "free" publications.
>

> I've had an idea like this in the back of my mind for a while. When you're
> denied access to a paper on a journal website, it would be great to have a
> browser plugin to search institutional repositories etc. for the same
> paper. A sort of alternative DOI resolution system. Obviously there's some
> technical challenges in that - and the publishers probably wouldn't cheer
> for it - but it seems worth exploring.

It's technically straightforward - socially very challenging. For many
years we have had a Greasemonkey plugin which can recognise material in web
pages and act upon it. The difficulty is, without an addictive viral model,
getting it adopted. Mendely could do it if they wanted.  I have ideas but
I'm not ready to go public yet.