[open-science] RE : [GOAL] On OA's one and only overwhelming priority

Guédon Jean-Claude jean.claude.guedon at umontreal.ca
Sat Dec 17 11:33:37 UTC 2011

The devil in the details: of course we need the mandates, but succeeding in getting mandates is not an excercise in rationality or logic; it is a move fraught with a large amount of institutional politics. Because of this, anything that helps the politics of the debate move closer to a mandate is helpful. Focusing only on the mandate does not necessarily help this process. Not forgetting the mandate is the important point but more attention should be placed on practical tactics to reach this particular goal. And, of course, there are other possible goals that also help OA to move forward. They too require effective tactics.

Jean-Claude Guédon