[open-science] How should we publish survey/tabular data? A Panton Paper?

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Sat Jul 16 21:31:47 UTC 2011

I have just written a blog post critical of a paper in PLoSONE

http://blogs.ch.cam.ac.uk/pmr/2011/07/16/how-to-share-data-and-how-not-to/
you'll understand when you've read it (only takes half a minute). It's
presenting survey data as TIFFs (argh!)

It makes me think we should think about a Panton Paper on how to publish
SIMPLE data. Some simple points for authors, editors and reviewers to be
aware of. Nothing comprehensive. But since there are so many publications of
tables, can we at least get these fairly standardized.

P.