[open-science] Definitions of Open Science?

john wilbanks wilbanks at creativecommons.org
Thu Jul 28 15:44:30 UTC 2011

We drafted these several years ago for the ESOF forum, and they've
served us well at CC :-)

http://sciencecommons.org/resources/readingroom/principles-for-open-science/

But they're principles, not a definition. Definitions in my opinion work
well inside defined domains with clear borders (software, cultural
works) and less well in sprawls like science. Science doesn't even
really exist; there are instead a variety of disciplines that practice
variations on the scientific method. The invisible colleges of those
disciplines are often very different from one another, on top of
institutional differences, on top of national differences, and so on.
One definition to rule them all will be unlikely to scale.

An old friend once noted after I spent a solid half-hour monopolizing a
dinner conversation on this topic, "dude, so your point is that science
is complicated."

jtw