[open-science] Definitions of Open Science?

Jo Walsh metazool at fastmail.net
Fri Jul 29 12:55:36 UTC 2011

Started a list http://okfnpad.org/rfringe11-open-scholarship

Glad of the responses. Perhaps we are looking for a declaration rather than a definition. To say "we are doing Open Scholarship because we are doing X and Y". Then wouldnt have to be too exhaustive or qualified...

Not sure when is the session planned for? Am otherwise engaged on the 4th most of the day :/

Michael Nielsen <mn at michaelnielsen.org> wrote:

On Thu, 28 Jul 2011, cameron.neylon at stfc.ac.uk wrote: > I would say that the definitions, or at least visions that came out of > the meeting in Geneva are as good as any. My personal position is that > 'open science' is too big and diverse a church to capture with a single > definition without offending at least some members of the broader > community. Easier to articulate shared aims and to define more specific > practices or beliefs within that. I can definitely agree with that! This is part of why I'm not comfortable making a more formal definition of the term. I especially like Cameron's last sentence! Cheers, Michael