[open-science] New comunity member

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Thu May 5 14:15:33 UTC 2011

On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 2:50 PM, René Dreos <rene.dreos at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Open-Science community,
>
> my name is René Dreos and I am a bioinformatician with a biology background
> interested in gene expression and genomes data analysis.

Welcome! Coincidentally I am at a meeting at EBI today...

> For my projects, I often have to analyse and combine data generated in
> different labs (downloading them from Internet repositories like EBI or
> NCBI). You can imagine that although there are standard for data
> repositories it is quite difficult for me to collect all the information
> needed for a correct data analysis.

What is the difficulty - access? knowledge/discovery? resources?

> This ultimately could lead to misinterpretation of the results or missing
> opportunities (and waste of time/money). I would really like to know what
> you think about this and how Open-Science could help in solving it. I know
> the problem is complex and, if you agree, I would like to bring my personal
> experience to this community and try to solve it.

The problem is complex, I am afraid! At least Open data is not a problem in
most bioinformatics. I suspect that your main requirement is appropriate
identifiers and ontologies.

I suspect that many of your problems will need to be addressed in a
domain-specific manner but if there are general scientific ones then keep
mailing...

P.