[open-science] New comunity member

Egon Willighagen egon.willighagen at gmail.com
Sun May 8 14:54:03 UTC 2011

Peter,

On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 4:15 PM, Peter Murray-Rust <pm286 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> The problem is complex, I am afraid! At least Open data is not a problem in
> most bioinformatics.

Peter, I do want to stress here, that the data we see on the web, is
not in fact the data we like to have access to and need for decent
data analysis. There, the data is actually not so open, and much
closer to habits in chemistry. There are fields in biology where data
is Open (sequencing), but a large part is not.

This is one of the reasons why we have this session tomorrow in our EU
project [0]. Seriously, the Open in bio seems driven by journal
requirements more than ideology...

Egon

0.http://chem-bla-ics.blogspot.com/2011/05/online-seurat-workshop-open-data-what.html

--