[open-science] Can you help improving the evidence base on open science?

Paweł Szczęsny ps at pawelszczesny.org
Fri Jul 6 16:31:33 UTC 2012

Dear David,

Open Science is an umbrella term for various "open" activities,
including, but not limited to, open access, open source, open data,
etc. Despite the fact, that certain phrases are new, ideas behind open
science have a rather long history, especially in some fields (first
"Open Source Science" _conference_ was in late 90s).

There's an enormous amount of evidence, as long as you don't try to
think about every field having the same cultural background. For
example, the whole LHC is a result of "open science" put in practice
(Arxiv, open source grid software, immediate data availability). BTW,
you miss high-energy physics (and lots of activities by CERN) in your
presentation.

The general comment I have is that you seem to focus on the very
recent examples of "2.0", creating an impression that it is a brand
new phenomenon. It isn't - it's just unevenly distributed. I think
this changes the perspective in presentation (from IF, to HOW).

I will make specific comments in GDocs.

Best wishes
PS