[open-science] [Open-access] [okfn-discuss] Open Data Handbook v1.0

Jenny Molloy jcmcoppice12 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 11:22:46 UTC 2012

Hi All

This sounds like a great idea and I think we need a few more people to get
it going, I'm happy to help coordinate so I'll add myself to Laura's list :)

* Daniel Dietrich (general coord; OKFN Germany)
* Laura Newman (general coord; OKFN UK)
* Sridhar Gutam
* Carolina Odman
* Paola di Maio
* Peter Murray-Rust (?)
* Jenny Molloy

We were discussing making this a sprint project at OKFest with people
adding to a handbook throughout OKCon, but it definitely wouldn't hurt to
start work beforehand!

I think it ties nicely into an earlier thread on an early-career guide to
doing open science (starting here
http://lists.okfn.org/pipermail/open-science/2012-March/001427.html) and a
suggestion at the last wg meeting from Jessy Schlinger that we should get
people using open science tools and generating feedback, writing reviews
etc as part of an interactive session at OKFest but also more generally.

I've copied Jessy's email about what P2PU are already doing on this front
and I think we should definitely team up with them.

This could all be tied into one big handbook including reviews of the tools
available, with some edited highlights for particular groups of
researchers, including grads and early career researchers if there are
specific needs to address. With the rate of progress in open science, it
would need to be frequently updated living document.

Jenny