[open-science] Inside view to the story of an high impact publication

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Oct 5 08:42:48 UTC 2012

On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 5:50 AM, Susi Toma <toma.susi at aalto.fi> wrote:

>  Dear open-science readers,
>
>  You might be interested to read a longish blog post I wrote about a
> recent high impact research article (alas, not open access; let me know if
> you want to read it and don't have access) I co-authored with Jani
> Kotakoski. It contains some interesting statistics of the email
> correspondence as well as inside details of the process, somewhat along the
> ideals of open science.
>
>  http://mostlyphysics.wordpress.com/2012/10/04/the-story-of-an-article/

This is a carefully detailed account of collaboration in authoring a
conventional closed access paper. I think many may find it useful.  I think
it stresses collaboration, the problems of refereeing and editors, but it
isn't similar to open science. So my comments are primarily about that...
Please take them as constructive.

In a full open science process the major part of the research would have
been posted openly and would potentially have been available to people
outside the research group both for reading and comment.

If the open process is restricted to authoring then the manuscripts would
have been posted openly. You mention a large  number of emails and
Googledocs. Googledocs is a relatively poor vehicle for scientific
manuscripts as it has poor version/control and poor reference management.
Indeed this is an area where I would like to see open offerings that
address these points.

You have submitted to journals (ACS) which will refuse to publish if *any*
of the work has appeared in public anywhere. For example, in the distant
days when I published with ACS, we published a paper on the CML schema.
(This is in the field of cheminformatics and ACS was the only publisher
anywhere who would accept papers on this topic - we now have Open Access
alternatives.) I asked the editor if we could post the schema for public
comment and this was refused. Nowadays I would simply do it. The ACS does
not allow Green archival of any sort except in dark archives with large
embargo times (probably decades).

Your initial paper - on which I can't comment as there is no public record
of it was required by the journals to be bounced around different
publishers. It was both too long for some and too short for others and
looks like your original paper has been split into two by the journal
system. The first, as I understand it, is 4 pages and contains little
useful experimental detail - this will be published separately. Is this the
best way to publish the science? I don't know since none of the versions
are publicly accessible.

The message I take from this is that the journal system puts serious
pressures on where and how to publish. In open-science we don't have this
problem. We publish to the world and record everything. We (or someone
else!) can write narratives on the data.

If we limit this to open-access (i.e. do the science closed but publish
openly in conventional journals) this emphasizes the need for a versioned
record of the publication. All significant versions should be available for
public view and comment. It may be that you would find public support for
your original manuscript or you may find there were significant flaws.

This has been a useful example and my suggestion is that this list
(open-access) should think about open authoring tools. It's clear that a
huge amount of wasted effort is created by the re-authoring process -
reformatting, re-doing the reference labels, etc. In OKF we have an
emerging toolkit that will address some of these points.