[open-science] Inside view to the story of an high impact publication

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Oct 5 09:08:02 UTC 2012

<Heather Morrison>
"Heather Morrison" <hgmorris at sfu.ca> kirjoitti 5.10.2012 kello 8.29:
<H>
It isn't often that the open access movement recognizes the value of
societies like the American Chemical Society in the creation of a open
access to scholarly knowledge.

<PMR> As far as I am aware no Open Access body has recognised the value of
the ACS in creating Open Access to scholarly knowledge as it hasn't
happened.

 It is good to see from the ACS website that they have Congressional
Briefings - one indication that a strong society like this has the ability
and opportunity to speak up for science.  Their educational programs really
are of value to building knowledge and scholarship. We tend to think of ACS
as behaving in a similar way to for-profit commercial publishers, but
despite some superficial resemblances, this really is not the case. Like
other scholarly societies, their journals on a per-article basis are a
fraction of the cost of those of the highest profit commercial publishers.

 The ACS has strongly and consistently lobbied Congress to oppose Openness.
The worst of these was when it tried to get PubChem shut down (a valuable
free database of chemicals created by the NIH). It has also been a member
of PRISM whose strapline was to brand the Open Access movement as "junk
science". It has a monopoly in education where those wishing to get courses
accredited have to subscribe to ACS journals.

I have had many years of following ACS policies including attempts to
"reform" them and I am not optimistic that change will come naturally.