[open-science] Inside view to the story of an high impact publication

Matthew Todd matthew.todd at sydney.edu.au
Sat Oct 6 05:22:47 UTC 2012

Interesting story, and post, thank you. We've written, and are writing,
papers openly on a wiki:

http://openwetware.org/wiki/Todd:Construction

and that works for a group of people collaborating on the assembly of a
paper where the members of the group are OK with the platform, but it's
really not everyone's cup of tea, and formatting/referencing is still a
pain. Conversion to an acceptable form for submission is also lengthy.
We're about to share the first draft of our open source drug discovery for
malaria paper, which we've been assembling recently, and are a little stuck
on how best to do this. It's not the sharing (easy), it's the
expecting-people-to-be-able-to-input-without-being-coders problem. We need
a github of Word files, I expect, and could use Dropbox for that if we are
clear about how to manage the process, but the reference management is
always going to be difficult - some people insist on Endnote, others on
Mendeley, etc. We know that submission to a PLoS journal, for example, will
be acceptable once we're done.

Cheers,

Mat

--
MATTHEW TODD | Senior Lecturer and Honours Coordinator
School of Chemistry | Faculty of Science

THE UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY
Rm 519, F11 | The University of Sydney | NSW | 2006
T +61 2 9351 2180  | F +61 2 9351 3329  | M +61 415 274104
E matthew.todd at sydney.edu.au  | W
http://sydney.edu.au/science/chemistry/research/todd.html

CRICOS 00026A
This email plus any attachments to it are confidential. Any unauthorised
use is strictly prohibited. If you receive this email in error, please
delete it and any attachments.