[open-science] White paper on implementing CC0 for data in peer-reviewed journals

Iain Hrynaszkiewicz Iain.Hrynaszkiewicz at biomedcentral.com
Tue Sep 11 11:35:09 UTC 2012

Dear all,

Matt Cockerill and I at BioMed Central have published in BMC Research
Notes a detailed proposal for implementing Creative Commons CC0 for data
published in peer-reviewed journals and are seeking responses to a
number of proposals in the paper. The proposals include implementing
Open Bibliography.

Paper:

http://www.biomedcentral.com/1756-0500/5/494/abstract

And a summary including the key questions we are soliciting responses to
is on the BMC Blog:

http://blogs.biomedcentral.com/bmcblog/2012/09/10/put-the-open-in-open-d
ata/

Any help in soliciting responses - and responses - from this group would
be greatly appreciated. I'm particularly keen to hear from the
"unconverted".

Questions we seek the scientific community's input on:
- How appropriate is public domain dedication for data you (already)
publish in journals?
- How do you define data - what data file types do you commonly publish
as additional files (supplementary material)?
- How might removing legal restrictions on data sharing benefit (or
harm) your research?

This follows our Publishing Open Data Working Group meeting in June 2011
(attended by a number of this group)
http://blogs.biomedcentral.com/bmcblog/2011/08/08/report-from-the-publis
hing-open-data-working-group-meeting-17th-june-2011/

and draft Open Data Statement in September 2010
http://blogs.openaccesscentral.com/blogs/bmcblog/entry/join_the_data_deb
ate_draft

Feel free to contact me directly with any questions.

Best regards,

Iain

Iain Hrynaszkiewicz
Publisher, Open Science