[open-science] Is It Open Data? status?

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Sat Sep 1 10:19:02 UTC 2012

On Sat, Sep 1, 2012 at 10:58 AM, Egon Willighagen <
egon.willighagen at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have not looked at Is It Open Data? recently... honestly, the lack
> of response we get is depressing...

Yes. But not surprising.

We don't win everything first time. I reckon I have launched about 10
significant tools on the Internet over the last 20 years and about 30% have
taken off. I think that's what we can expect. Some need funding.

I suspect that IIOD was launched in advance of its time. Its time is
coming. We may need to reconfigure.

It's the sort of thing that is now very relevant to funders' requirements
for ensuring that their funded projects create Open Data. I and others are
talking with funders about how OKF tools can be relevant to their
needs.based

I was inspired by the success of MySociety in creating various information
tools such as WhatDoTheyKnow (FOI) and WriteToThem MPs) and suggested IIOD.
I am grateful to those who put in the work - it was significant. But WDTK
and WTT have major advantages:
* MS are funded
* they are approved by government.

None of this applies at present to IIOD. But it may. Substitute
"government" by "researchFunder" and it starts to look very valuable and
feasible. I think the next stage may be to get Funder sponsorship