[open-science] Annotating Open Images with licence and authorship to prevent copyfraud

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Aug 6 13:57:26 UTC 2013

Thanks,
It's useful to know that others are thinking this way. If I understand your
example it is to put metadata into the image where machines might detect
it. My suggestion is complementary - to make a permanent visual indication
of the licence - visual watermarking. There is nothing particular novel
(certainly not technical) but I think it needs advocacy.

The problem with metadata inside the file is that only machines can see it
and it is also fragile - easily removed either deliberately or by
copy/paste and otehr format conversions.