[open-science] PeerJ, A New Open Access Megajournal Launches

Thomas Kluyver takowl at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 23:27:25 UTC 2013

On 13 February 2013 18:49, Bryan Bishop <kanzure at gmail.com> wrote:

> What are the prices? We launched on Tuesday, if you become a basic member,
> that's $99 and that's a lifetime right to publish one paper a year with the
> journal. That remains to be seen. I think, we're pretty confident. Enhanced
> is $199 and that's 2 papers/year. The $300 is the right to publish an
> unlimited number of papers per year. You can upgrade at any point, the
> catch is that all contributory authors have to be a member. Each of the
> authors on the paper have to be a member in good standing. So all their
> future papers are free. There is also this requirement to do a review every
> year per member.

This is a very interesting model. To be clear, are the quoted prices a
one-off payment rather than an annual fee? And if a member doesn't keep up
their reviewing, can they regain good standing just by doing a review, or
will they pay to join again?

On the other hand, I wonder if the requirement for every author to be a
member will be an obstacle in fields where papers can have dozens of
authors. If, say, 20 authors on a paper needed to become members, both the
cost and the extra admin (if it needs 20 separate payments) would be less
attractive than an article publication charge.

Thanks,
Thomas