[open-science] Privacy and open research data

Francois Grey francois.grey at cern.ch
Wed Feb 20 16:34:11 UTC 2013

Steve,

I'm going to wade in here with a related question. Who wants privacy, and
why?

The reason I raise this is because of interactions I've had over the last
year with Stephen Friend (Sage Bionetworks) and the cancer communities his
organization deals with. These provide examples of individuals -
potentially very vulnerable people due to their genetic illnesses - who
actually want to share more personal medical data openly, for example
related to drug testing, because they believe that can accelerate
research. This is in contrast to corporations, which are reluctant to
share such data, because of its perceived value. The 'portable legal
consent' pioneered by Sage is a novel response to this conundrum.

I realize that this trend raises many profound questions: sharing your own
genetic and medical data means you are also sharing quite a lot of
information about your family. So do you need their consent, too? But it's
a trend that challenges perceptions of who is interested in preserving
data privacy, and why. Who's really afraid of Virginia Woolf?

Thoughts?

Francois