[open-science] Privacy and open research data

Song, Stephen stephen.song at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 14:21:58 UTC 2013

On 19 February 2013 23:59, Peter Murray-Rust <pm286 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> I am grateful for the Ohm paper and I admit that I have possibly taken too
> simplistic approach. I would be able to be convinced taht some human,
> species and perhaps geodata may have to be hidden as it cannot be
> anonymised..  However there are tens of billions of dollars or more public
> data thrown away every year in physical sciences (chemistry, materials) and
> the risk in making most of these public must be very small. It will be
> important to draw some borderlines

I agree wholeheartedly.  Thus an open question for me is:  Should the
Open Data/Science movement consider a more pro-active approach in
defining some of those borderlines and good practice rather than
having to deconstruct a policy defined through a knee-jerk reaction to
a big privacy compromise or through slightly more nefarious agendas
such as the Canadian example that Heather gave?

-Steve

--
Steve Song
+1 902 529 0046