[open-science] Risks in secrecy

jtw at del-fi.org jtw at del-fi.org
Wed Feb 20 18:43:49 UTC 2013

Heather and I may not see eye to eye on CC BY in open access, but I'm
furiously applauding her posts on open data and privacy.

The point of raising this issue is not to use it as an argument
*against* open data. It's to argue that our arguments *for* open data
must contemplate all its realities, including those that require some
uncomfortable thinking.

Anonymity is not the victim of "open" data - it's the victim of
"abundant" data. We're very non-anonymous to lots of corporations and to
our governments because of abundant data. Opening that data up just
enlarges the sample size of those who might attempt to use abundant data
to identify individuals.

The point about geographic sensitivity is also extremely well taken. I
ran into this in an open roads project in central america a few years
back - the very data used to track biodiversity created a roadmap for
poachers of rare animals. It's tough.

But the privacy element is a poor reason to argue against open data, and
arguing the risks of secrecy as a counterargument is an elegant
formation that I think we should embrace...

jtw