[open-science] Fwd: Call for OpenCourseWare to be published at SlideWiki.org

Sören Auer auer at informatik.uni-leipzig.de
Sun Feb 24 18:21:12 UTC 2013

Am 24.02.2013 16:15, schrieb Piotr Migdal:
> it looks very promising!

Thanks :-)

> (Though support for git (to edit things locally, in one's favourite browser) would be great. As well as for LaTeX (beamer)-based presentations... or even... Markdown (see http://jeromyanglim.blogspot.com.es/2012/07/beamer-pandoc-markdown.html). Also, Keynote and Open Office are popular...)

The download and re-import of HTML/deck.js presentations is already
possible, this way you can work offline, but I agree, this might be an
experimental feature currently and we have to improve this in the next
weeks (particularly when conflicts arise with other users, who were
editing the same deck).

We were working on a LaTeX beamer import, but this is really tricky,
since you can do almost everything with LaTeX and writing an importer is
really complex.

Markdown editing is definitely on our ToDo list as well. Please
subscribe to our mailinglist to stay in touch:
https://groups.google.com/d/forum/slidewiki

> When it comes to licensing, I'm more into CC BY since it is really free (well, only more free is public domain or CC0). And, perhaps, I'm not the only one.

I think using SlideWiki for more liberal content is easy, just add a
note that this content is also available under e.g. CC0 to the deck
description. CC-BY-SA should just be the lowest common denominator.
Maybe we should indeed add the possibility to directly license content
under even more liberal licenses.

> Side note: when it comes to licensing, can anyone point to a good layman introduction what is considered a derivate work?
> In particular, when when I use (say) one slide with CC BY SA in a collection of 50 slides, does one need to license this particular slide with CC BY SA (with all modifications) or the whole presentation?

I would say only the particular slide, but I'm not a lawer.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Best,

Sören