[open-science] Proof to funding agencies (companies) that open work is a good idea

Jason Moore moorepants at gmail.com
Thu Jul 11 19:36:33 UTC 2013

Hi,

I just joined a new lab and am under a grant from the state of Ohio which
hopes that our work generates IP for particular companies in Ohio so that
ultimately jobs are created in Ohio.

I, on the other hand, want to share my work openly as I have in the past
from preliminary to publication and beyond so that the world can benefit.

I'm wondering if anyone can point me to some specific resources, case
studies, or other things that could help bolster our arguments for openness
to the state agency that funds us. I'd ultimately like to convince the
funders that being open is in fact beneficial to their goals of improving
the economy in Ohio. I believe this in an idealistic sense, but am not sure
I can really argue that.

Any thoughts?

Jason
moorepants.info