[open-science] Proof to funding agencies (companies) that open work is a good idea

Puneet Kishor punk.kish at gmail.com
Fri Jul 12 19:06:33 UTC 2013

On Jul 12, 2013, at 11:38 AM, Greg Austic <gbathree at gmail.com> wrote:

> My issue is in the statement that "the wants to monitize IP"... the government may want to, but I don't think that the people of Ohio really want to.

Other than you "thinking so," is there some other evidence on which you can base the above assertion? Doesn't the government of Ohio represent the people of Ohio, at least in theory?

> I also don't think that the only way to generate value for the people of Ohio is to prevent value from being co-created in other parts of the world by using a patent.

I also think so, but I only think so, and have no evidence to which I can point with conviction. I am not sure what exactly the answer is to the above. The best answer, of course, would be a working model whereby an entity has been able to do just the above -- created a monetary stream to continue to fund innovation while also ensuring that the basis of that innovation remains free for more innovation by others.

That said, how did you bring "patents" into the picture? I don't recall the OP talking about patents, but I could be mistaken.

> I don't know exactly what the right answer is and I think you bring up legitimate points, but my tendency is to continue to identify successful ways to generate value in any form (monetary or otherwise) for the creator which minimizes restriction of the flow of information.

No disagreement there, which is the reason I am interested in this thread. Look forward to more discussion.

Many thanks.