[open-science] New book chapter on Open Licensing in the context of academia (OER's)

Tom Olijhoek tom.olijhoek at gmail.com
Tue Jul 16 11:51:20 UTC 2013

Hi Ross,

Many thanks for the share.I recommend reading it to everyone on these
lists.  It is a very useful publication. Open access to (scientific)
information and open education are very closely linked.

On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 12:31 PM, R Mounce OKF <ross.mounce at okfn.org> wrote:

> I've tweeted this out a few times now, but I thought I'd also share this
> with the mailing list.
>
> Thanks to this blog from the OA team at Oxford Uni:
>
> http://openaccess.ox.ac.uk/cc-by-what-does-it-mean-for-scholarly-articles-3/
>
> I've become aware of another published article explaining the history and
> practicalities of creative commons licences published in a recent (2013)
> book called: Perspectives on Open and Distance Learning: Open Educational
> Resources: Innovation, Research and Practice
> openly available from here:
> http://www.col.org/resources/publications/Pages/detail.aspx?PID=446
>
> I've cut the open book PDF down to just Norm Friesen's chapter 6
> 'Realising the Open in Open Educational Resources: Practical Concerns and
> Solutions' here if you want to read it right away...
> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/757135/Friesen2013chap6.pdf
>
> (all perfectly legal thanks to the CC BY-SA licence the book is published
> under)
>

> It's great to have more third-party reviewed evidence in support of the
> use of CC BY for published academic materials whether OER or publications.
>
> Best,
>
> Ross
>
> --
> *
>
> Ross Mounce
>
> Community Coordinator, Open Science  |  @rmounce<https://twitter.com/rmounce>
>
> The Open Knowledge Foundation <http://okfn.org/>
>
> Empowering through Open Knowledge
>
> http://okfn.org/  |  @okfn <http://twitter.com/OKFN>  |  OKF on Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/OKFNetwork> |
> Blog <http://blog.okfn.org/>  |  Newsletter<http://okfn.org/about/newsletter>
> *

Tom Olijhoek
Codex Consult
www.codexconsult.eu
coordinator @ccess open access working group  at OKF
DOAJ  member of Advisory Board
freelance advisor for the WorldBank Publishing Group
TEL +(31)645540804
SKYPE tom.olijhoek
LinkedIn  http://nl.linkedin.com/in/tomolijhoek/