[open-science] "HackYourPhD aux States" : a web documentary about OpenScience

Brian Glanz brian.glanz at gmail.com
Fri Jun 14 13:14:27 UTC 2013

Hello Célya, I am also copying the OKFN-US list, and I encourage people to
reply with suggestions. Everyone, please see Célya's schedule of cities she
will visit this Summer in her message below, for a documentary on Open
Knowledge and Open Science.

It is a great idea to have a public event in each city you visit, and to
combine Open Science events with broader OKF meetup groups.

I know all of those cities have regular tweetups, hackdays, and panel
events that intersect with Open Science, except Charlottesville. They are a
college town, where all the Open Science activity I know of is associated
with the University of Virginia, including the new Center for Open Science.

In the cities, many Open Science related events are organized by
ScienceOnline <http://scienceonline.com/near-you/>, in New York that plus
SpotOn <http://www.nature.com/spoton/in/new-york/>, or  by nonprofits, or
each city also has more than one university. There are fewer Summer events
in general, but by combining groups who do not normally organize together,
such as ScienceOnline, a university, and a local biohackerspace, there will
be enough people and a good mix of Open Science.

In addition to San Diego's, there are community wet labs in New York,
Boston, San Francisco, and Seattle, and all of those cities have more than
a few general hackerspaces that do some science. I'll talk to you soon with
more specifics, let's see what anyone else adds. BG