[open-science] OKCon13 Open/Citizen Science Satellite event: Summary of our first call & Doodle

Rayna rayna.st at gmail.com
Wed May 29 13:50:07 UTC 2013

Dear all,

Please find below the short summary of the questions we discussed today.
Thanks everyone who attended and provided insights!

Our second call will take place in around two weeks from now, if you wanna
join, please select a date: http://doodle.com/ghaagbppet256gst

Thanks,
Rayna

*---- Notes 29/05/2012 ----*
*Joris's feedback on 2012 event*
* this year's event is different from OKFest
* tickets are more expensive than OKFest 2012, so audience will be different
* feedback from OKFest2012 Science event:
http://science.okfn.org/2012/09/19/okfest-open-science-and-culture-hackday-project-2-louhos/
The hack event with a clear plan from the start was most productive
Last year, few devs/techies but otherwise very productive

*Details on this year's event*
* OpenGLAM has a satellite event on Monday, they've booked a room for 30
ppl -> get in touch with Beatrice (the main organizer)
* Main OKCon venue is an official conference venue, pretty strict rules.
Perhaps consider another opportunity.

*Discussions on the satellite event:*
Problems/opportunities for one-day event:
Experience from culture hacks: Joris: leave people on their own => not much
happens
* mixed audience in the same room -> possibly a fail
* contribute small actions on existing projects works fine
* take into account the competences of the different people
* plan things for non-techies (the projects should implement this too)
* pay attention to pre-defined teams and topics, can be a bit restrictive
* work interdisciplinary by finding a right balance between competences
given aims of the activity
* ask the different idea/topic-propellers to define the basic competences
they'll need to get their stuff running good idea!
Naming "hack day" implies coding, maybe consider other name?
communicate that deliverables are good to the projects. Deliverables can be:
- presentation 5min at end of day? << yes
- write short summary to a blog post for OKFN? << yes!
- share mind-map or other things produced during the day? << why not, but
this is a very specific thing and generally leaves everyone puzzled cuz it
reflects one's vision and links ;)

Submit proposal for satelite event before Friday 31st:
http://okcon.org/call-for-proposals/

idea: set limit on number of topics/pitches/projects to work on
e.g. if we can accommodate 30 participants, let's set a limit to 6-8 topics

*Next call:* in two weeks from now (around 10-14 June), we send a Doodle.

--
"Change l'ordre du monde plutôt que tes désirs."

http://de.linkedin.com/in/raynas