[open-science] OKCon 2013 Open Science Proposals

Francois Grey francois.grey at cern.ch
Mon May 27 11:45:15 UTC 2013

+1 from Citizen Cyberscience Centre for this!

We would be glad to help out and coordinate with other events.

In particular, this can connect with a second installment of the CERN webfest, which we organized last year with CERN summer students (see write-up here ) and which we intend to run again in August http://cds.cern.ch/record/1473657

Also with a recent workshop/hackfest we ran at UNIGE, which Rayna wrote up here: http://blogs.plos.org/citizensci/2013/05/23/university-of-geneva-hosts-citizen-cyberscience/ and which created quite some follow-up interest at UNIGE for specific projects biomedical and renewable energy research.

There's also some summer students at CERN who will be working on projects about open data and citizen science, and whose work could be great to develop further at the hackfest. And also relevant work ongoing with our UN partners in Geneva, UNOSAT, on disaster response using Crowdcrafting.org.

BTW, John Ellis, the top theoretical physicist at CERN, just accepted to give a keynote talk in the Open Science session. That's something else OKF can link to, to create a buzz.

Happy to help in any focussed planning team that you guys may decide to set up.

Francois