[open-science] [okfn-discuss] effort to improve "open science" article on Wikipedia... also see citizendium

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Sat Sep 14 14:48:27 UTC 2013

I intend to help contribute to the(se) Wikipedia pages. I stated 4 years
ago that "the bit of Wikipedia that I wrote is correct" (
http://blogs.ch.cam.ac.uk/pmr/2009/04/06/wikipedia-has-won-how-can-we-convince-you/)
and I stand by that.

There isn't a real problem here. Every contribution that is made is
recorded to we can see what anyone wrote. If they use pseudonyms we make
our own judgments. If the sources are/not cited we make our own judgments.

The primary problem arises when there is an edit war. I think there may be
slight edit wars in "Open Access". As far as I can see WP has a reasonable
approach to edit wars - it identifies the problem. If the warring parties
are large and determined then there are few processes that can mend this -
but we go back to
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quis_custodiet_ipsos_custodes%3F .  We either
appoint an arbitrary custodian group or we let the dispute continue. I
prefer the latter.

In fact I don't think there is a current problem. I started the WP page on
"Open Data" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_data  because even the phrase
"open data" was virtually unknown then (check the rev history!). It's not
"my" page but most of the words are still mine - there has been very little
major editing.

I believe what this shows is that our challenge will be to (communally)
write something good and find enough varied sources. I very doubt if we
shall have major differences of opinion at the start.

And if it's any good it will be preserved and can be reused elsewhere.

P.