[open-science] [DIYbio] Seeking Open Source Licence for new biotech method (Marcus D. Hanwell)

john wilbanks jtw at del-fi.org
Fri Sep 20 14:26:31 UTC 2013

Yes, disclosing the method puts it into the public domain and renders
the method itself unpatentable, at least in theory. In practice, small
modifications to the technique could make it novel enough to receive at
least limited protections that in turn can be used to make broad
assertions of the patent. That's what good patent attorneys do, and why
they are highly paid.

There used to be a patent disclosure program that basically guaranteed
your method got in front of the examiners, but the US discontinued that
in 2007. http://www.uspto.gov/patents/law/disclosure_document.jsp

There is a company that promotes research disclosures as a defensive
mechanism, too. http://www.researchdisclosure.com/publishing-disclosures

jtw