[open-science] [Open-access] CC-BY

Luke Winslow lawinslow at wisc.edu
Wed Sep 4 15:43:29 UTC 2013

Wait.
> But Peter is right, because as part of the publication contract, authors grant Elsevier an exclusive license covering all publishing and distribution rights, which is quite the same in practice as transferring copyright. So, the author should refer any commercial reuse request to Elsevier.
Call me a noob, but how does this happen? Can you really grant
"exclusive license covering all publishing and distribution rights" to a
third party on something released under creative commons? It seems to me
that there should be nothing prohibiting me from downloading all
creative commons articles (from any journal) and re-distributing them on
my own website (in a non-commercial way), right?

I guess I was interpreting this all similar to the open source world. I
can download all the open source code in the world and host it on my own
website as long as I adhere to the terms of the license. It seems like
putting additional restrictions on top of a CC license violates the CC
license itself.

-Luke