[open-science] [Open-access] CC-BY - correction

Couture Marc marc.couture at teluq.ca
Wed Sep 4 18:24:03 UTC 2013

In my answer to Luke Winslow (see complet post below), I wrote:

> there could be a contradiction here, because the normal definition
> of an exclusive license is that no other license covering the same
> rights can be granted to another party

I checked the terms of Elsevier exclusive license, and it seems there is in fact no such contradiction, because Elsevier is first granted all the rights (by way of the exclusive license with the author), and then is the one who applies the CC license (letting the author decide which version).

Normally, it's the copyright owner who applies a CC license to a work, but a licensee having been granted all the rights is the one who is intitled to do it (and the author has lost any control in this regard).

This again illustrates that copyright ownership may mean next to nothing when a publisher asks for an exclusive license, instead of copyright transfer.

Marc Couture