[open-science] [DIYbio] Seeking Open Source Licence for new biotech method

john wilbanks jtw at del-fi.org
Wed Sep 18 12:30:22 UTC 2013

Remember that patent law, unlike copyright law, is exclusionary rather
than enabling. This makes the construction of open systems via licensing
much more difficult and complex.

So, in order to "open source license" the method, first you have to
obtain a patent, which will be restricted to the countries where you
have filed to obtain it. This will require 2-4 years and tens of
thousands of dollars or relevant currency to obtain, depending on how
many different jurisdictions you look to obtain protection. At that
point you can use the CAMBIA BIOS license (which impose a form of
patent-left in that signatories to the license who make improvements to
the technology must recontribute those improvements for free to all
other signatories of the license) or you can use something like the
BioBricks patent toolkit
(http://openwetware.org/wiki/The_BioBricks_Foundation:BPA). At that
point you can plausibly say you've "open sourced" the method.

If you are denied the patent, then the method falls into the public
domain, which is also clearly open source - indeed one might argue truly
free - but you will not be able to impose *conditional behavior* a la
GPL or copyleft, including the condition of attribution.

Even if you get the patent, all it allows you to do is bar others from
practicing it. It does not create the necessary rights to enable others
to practice it under an open license. Those rights may be controlled by
third parties who have other patents that bear on your method, which you
may or may not know about in advance. Thus it's possible to patent a
method, license it openly, yet be unable to practice it at all due to
thickets of patents held by third parties who do not wish to be part of
an open source culture.

Richard Jefferson likes to use the example of a chair with three legs (a
stool in english). Richard patents the three-legged chair and licenses
it under CAMBIA. But someone else holds the patent on four-legged
chairs, with broad claims to other kinds of chairs, and got that patent
before Richard. That person can therefore plausibly claim Richard's
patent infringes his patent - even if Richard's patent is granted - and
then neither Richard nor his open licensees can make, sell, import, or
otherwise do things with three-legged chairs.

Copyright will protect the expression of the method - the copying of the
paper in which it is disclosed - but not the actual practice of the
method. Thus it is plausible that someone could access a copy of the
method in a browser, not make a downloaded copy of it, practice the
method in the lab, and fail to attribute you in later publications, and
you would have no recourse under copyright law. This would be an
instance of a *professional violation* of the norms of citation rather
than an infringement of copyright.

In general I prefer the public domain in non-copyright matters, because
the power of license-constructed commonses is in many ways a creature of
the worldwide standardized power of copyright - an immune response to
the overreach of the system. Patents and methods (and data) are governed
by different systems and are simply less vulnerable to the aikido that
Stallman discovered in copyright.

jtw

--
follow me on twitter @wilbanks