[open-science] citing a code and data on a GitHub repository

Carl Boettiger cboettig at gmail.com
Tue Dec 3 18:02:47 UTC 2013

Great question. DOAP looks pretty promising.

In ecology we have our own XML-schema metadata standard for describing
software, whose vocabulary is pretty generic:
http://knb.ecoinformatics.org/software/eml/eml-2.1.1/eml-software.html Not
RDF but the standard has been around for 10 years with reasonable adoption
in our discipline.  I assume other disciplines have similar creatures.

Of course language-specific repositories often have their own way of
representing software metadata.  For instance, R packages on CRAN specify
generic metadata such as project title, description, authors, version, url,
bug reports, etc, in a machine-readable querable plain text format, e.g.
http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/XML/  Certainly there are other
examples (cpan, etc).

Would be nice if everyone wrapped some semantics like DOAP around this to
make these things more universal.

Does JORS provide a machine-readable version of the metadata in their
descriptions?

On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 9:29 AM, Brian Hole <brian.hole at ubiquitypress.com>wrote:

> JORS (the Journal of Open Research Software) is another alternative:
> http://openresearchsoftware.metajnl.com - with the additional benefit
> that the descriptions are citable.
>
> - Brian
>
> On 3 December 2013 17:17, Tom Morris <tfmorris at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 12:10 PM, Arfon Smith <arfon at github.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I'd be interested to hear if there's been any effort put into how to
>>> properly describe the function of a piece of code in a file like
>>> BibJSON. For example, knowing that a piece of code was written in
>>> Python, was for an astrophysics domain and performed coordinate
>>> transformations. It feels like that could be encapsulated in some kind
>>> of meta descriptor file which could then be indexed (and searched).
>>>
>>> Has anyone seen anything like this done?
>>>

>> DOAP? https://github.com/edumbill/doap/wiki
>>
>> Tom

Carl Boettiger
UC Santa Cruz