[open-science] Help us shape the science track at MozFest – Aug. 14, 11 ET

Kaitlin Thaney kaitlin at mozillafoundation.org
Tue Aug 12 22:14:57 UTC 2014

Hi all,

We're back this Thursday with our next community call, and we're all about the Mozilla Festival (“MozFest” for short) and our plans for the science track. This is the second “Science and the Web” track at the Festival, and we’re trying out a few new things to make the track even more engaging than last year. MozFest is where many of Mozilla’s best and most innovative ideas spring to life. It’s where passionate thinkers and inventors come together to learn from one another and engage in a conversation about how the web can help us do more, do better, and connect other likeminded members of the community around a common cause.
For this year’s event, we’ll be weaving in a continuation of last month’s #mozsprint, where participants joined us around the world to work on projects furthering open science. We’ll be building on that work and enthusiasm, working on educational materials to further open science, hacking on tools to facilitate research on the web, and even running some workshops and trainings. We’ll be highlighting a few of the projects on this month’s call, as well as discussing how you can join the fun.

We’ll also be sharing some tips and session ideas for first-timers, hearing from some leading community members about work they’re excited to bring to MozFest. On this month’s call, we’ll hear from Dave Riordan of the New York Public Library Labs on creating resources for the library community, Francois Grey from NYU CUSP / Citizen Cyberscience Center on participatory work at the Festival, and Amye Kennall from BioMed Central on contributorship and badging.

The session call is open until August 22, and we’d love to have you join us for this year’s event in London. Have an idea you’d like to bounce off of us? Want to help curate or lead a project for the sprint? Interested in running a training around working with data, authoring tools, or collaborative tools? Tune in on Thursday to hear more how you can contribute.

More info can be found here: https://etherpad.mozilla.org/sciencelab-calls-aug14-2014

We hope you'll join us.

- K
--