[open-science] How do we know open science is more efficient than what we do now?

Daniel Mietchen daniel.mietchen at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 24 16:45:08 UTC 2014

Dear all,

I assume that many on this list are sympathetic to the idea that open
science is more efficient than the way research normally proceeds now, and
experiences with the Polymath projects, the EHEC sequence annotation and
Open Source Malaria all fit that picture. However, the assumption has never
been tested systematically, and I think that once that were achieved, we
would have better chances to get scientists, science funders and research
administrators to actually consider the matter.

One chance that I see to move this forward is the Knights News Challenge,
to which I have submitted a proposal at
https://www.newschallenge.org/challenge/2014/submissions/opening-up-research-proposals
that can be fine-tuned until April 27.

I would appreciate your comments, or if you could help spread the word.

Thanks and cheers,

Daniel