[open-science] How can open science stop the privatization of science?

Puneet Kishor punk.kish at gmail.com
Sun Mar 16 14:46:40 UTC 2014

A few random thoughts —

1. The comments on that article are just as thought-provoking as the article itself, so make sure  to scan through them.

2. Most of those billionaires are American. Fine by me, but billionaires of other countries might want to start putting their money under the microscope as well.

3. This is not something new, at least in the US. Foundations have long funded scientific research in the US, and most all Foundations have sprung from the earnings of private business folks.

4. In these days of shrinking govt. budgets, getting the monies of these billionaires may be better than not getting anything, even though it means the envelope of science being pushed may be pushed in a rather skewed manner. (for example, if a nut-job like Koch is gonna be against climate change, well, so be it, but at least his money is funding food allergies and prostate cancer).

5. Govt. funding will continue to be a function of the will of the people. We, in the open science area have to not only practice open science but continue to work on policy-for-open-science, and policy-for-science in general. Much of my energy is spent on policy-for-science.

6. For us to “win,” “they” don’t have to “lose.” (lots of “scare quotes” in there, but take it for what it stands for you. For myself, I do believe in it more and more.)

--
Puneet Kishor
Manager, Science and Data Policy