[open-science] [Open-access] Elsevier: some facts, by Tim Gowers

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Fri May 2 14:40:15 UTC 2014

On Fri, May 2, 2014 at 2:48 PM, ANDREW Theo <Theo.Andrew at ed.ac.uk> wrote:

>  > I would think that copyright law always includes fair use policy which
> applies especially to use for educational purposes?
>

> Not so – organisations (universities, hospitals) pay millions of pounds a
> year for the privilege of photocopying published material.

Agreed.

>  In the UK this activity is coordinated by the CLA (https://www.cla.co.uk/)
> – who intimidate organisations to buy licenses from them by offering
> substantial rewards to whistleblowers to dob in their employers (
> http://www.scotsman.com/news/163-100k-for-nhs-copyright-whistleblowers-1-1795580
> ).
>

> Of course, if all the scholarly literature were available on an open
> access basis you wouldn’t need a CLA license…

Note also that only CC-BY, CC-BY-SA and CC0 allow automatic right of
re-use. CC-NC is highly problematics and may forbid use for teaching in
some countries. Publishers such as Taylor and Francis have flawed
"research" that shows that academics "prefer" NC. If they had a asked the
question "do you want other universities to have to pay to re-use you
OpenAccess for teaching" they would have got a different answer. That's a
major reason why we have to fight against CC-NC.