[open-science] Possibly interesting for this list: see item 3 in particular

Pierre-Carl Langlais pierrecarl.langlais at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 22:18:45 UTC 2014

Well, I "get" them: that's a pure marketing strategy, modeled in the
same logic as energy multinational corporation embracing touching
ecologic narratives. Openly harming the knowledge commons is certainly
bad publicity nowadays; converting to an uncompromising open-access
model is certainly incompatible with their sky-high margins. What
remains is an hypocritical stance : some nice OA hocus pocus for the
eyes (and the media), and keeping the usual business the usual way in
the backyard. Besides, my country (France) is on the verge of signing
<http://scoms.hypotheses.org/136> a 190 millions euros five-year deal
with Elsevier, while public research funds are going in the red
<http://www.lemonde.fr/societe/article/2014/10/17/le-gouvernement-reste-ferme-face-aux-chercheurs-en-colere_4508043_3224.html>
and most would-be researchers of my generation are unlikely to find an
academic job. I would require a lot of OA hocus pocus to forget this
reality.

Pierre-Carl