[open-science] Elsevier (again) and Community Networks

William Waites ww at eris.okfn.org
Wed Oct 22 07:49:35 UTC 2014

On Tue, 21 Oct 2014 12:07:00 -0700, William Gunn <william.gunn at gmail.com> said:

    > You should publish it in an open access journal that offers fee
    > waivers to those who can't pay, such as PLOS ONE, PeerJ, eLife,
    > or F1000Research.

Is that to be taken as the official line from Elsevier? Because if so
it's pretty disappointing to hear "go somewhere else" rather than
addressing the problem. I have my favourite Open Access journals
for normal academic use but this specific case is special. In many
places community networks are built because of and to address economic
exclusion and in a spirit of sharing, yet we have a volume being
produced on exactly this topic in a way designed to practice economic
exclusion. Something is wrong here.

-w