[open-science] community lead open science (biology) projects

Paweł Szczęsny ps at pawelszczesny.org
Sun Mar 16 09:56:52 UTC 2014

Hi Sridhar,

Just a quick pointer. My feeling is that in biology, open science is
mostly expressed in four areas. These are citizen science projects
(such as games FoldIt, Phylo, or EteRNA), data curation initiatives
(WikiGenes, WikiPathways, Annotathon, but also Rfam, which is not
usual suspect), open source software projects (Biopython, GMOD) and
finally "open source biology" (not my favourite name, but it's a
useful keyword to look for more examples of work done in laboratories
- see OSDD, which of course you are aware of, but also Registry of
Standard Biological Parts). Licensing terms are not unfortunately
uniform, but it's not surprising.

"Community lead" is a tricky part, because as you quickly learn, many
of these projects do involve some kind of external management.
Wikipedia does it as well (to a certain extent), so I'm not sure how
important to your friend is that part of the question.

Hope it helps a bit.
Best wishes
PS