[open-science] How can open science stop the privatization of science?

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Mar 17 09:22:28 UTC 2014

The 19th century created a tradition of industrialists funding research
(sometimes scientific medical, sometimes social) - examples in UK are
Wellcome (a drug company which was a charitable organization), Lever and
Cadbury (social housing), Rowntree (research into poverty). One feature of
this was that the companies were often family owned and the family
transmitted values to each generation (maybe through religious
affiliation). A common structure was for the individuals to create Trusts
which acted to protect the values against vagaries of individuals.

When individuals (as in the IT boom) become mega-rich this can often inject
money with new purpose - as the article highlighted. (I am currently the
beneficiary - thank you! - of Mark Shuttleworth's wealth - this is
(rightly) administered by a Foundation).

The problem comes when
  (a) individuals wish to use the wealth for monopolistic control of an
area. For digital goods this is particularly problematic as costs of scale
are small. Examples are D*sn*y, Maxwell(+), Murdoch. The primary weapon
against this (weak as it is) is public awareness.
 (b) the wealth is administered by a corporate. Corporates are amoral, and
we have seen the problems of modern banks. They will be governed by
group-think and income-generation motivation. Who is the CEO of Elsevier?
Last time I looked it was effectively a non-entity in the public view. That
leads to stagnation of vision and staff pushing legal and moral boundaries.

Anything we can do to help citizens make good innovative moral changes will
help to raise awareness. We can hope that when the personal founders of
companies are looking to improve humankind we and others have a variety of
tools to help them take their visions forward.