[open-science] DNAdigest hack day - Feb Sat 28th: increasing the reuse of public genomic data

Fiona Nielsen fiona.nielsen at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 09:59:50 UTC 2015

**How can we increase reuse of existing public genomic datasets? **

DNAdigest is very happy to announce our Hack Day this month and we are
inviting you to a day of brainstorming, ideation and hacking for the
benefit of genetics research.

We are happy to welcome geneticists, bioinformatics, software developers
and anyone with an interest in public genomic dataset. A broader
perspective from participants will allow for innovative ideas and
interesting discussions.

A basic introduction to DNAdigest and our team will be given in the morning
and group workshops will follow in the afternoon.

The problems/topics we aim to address and solve are:

1. How can you make a data recommendation service that (based on data that
are co-cited in published papers) can recommend a dataset that you might
find interesting given a dataset you have used in the past?

2. How can you make a data recommendation service that (based on
metadata/descriptions of datasets) can recommend a dataset that you might
find interesting given a dataset that you have used in the past?

3. How do you make an automated alert system that lets you know when new
datasets in a repository (e.g. GEO) are available that match a given (group
of) keywords?
Join the DNAdigest Hack Day to make solutions happen!

**Remember to sign up via eventbrite:**
http://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/dnadigest-hackday-28th-feb-tickets-15600786372

**Agenda and more details **
 http://dnadigest.hackpad.com

DNAdigest team is looking forward to seeing you at our Hack Day!
***

--
What is the state of data access in genomics research? We did some research
to find out:

https://www.vizify.com/fiona-nielsen

Read "Data barriers limit genetic diagnosis":
http://www.nature.com/news/data-barriers-limit-genetic-diagnosis-1.12414

“Excellence can be achieved, if we:
Care more than others think is wise,
Risk more than others think is safe,
Dream more than others think is practical,
Expect more than others think is possible.”
- Deborah Johnson-Ross