[open-science] Open Technology Week in Cambridge (UK) 8-15 June 2016 - call for contributions and participation

Jenny Molloy jenny.molloy at okfn.org
Fri Apr 1 16:33:25 UTC 2016

Hi All

Probably only relevant to Cambridge/London/UK folk but those from further
afield are also more than welcome to join in!

Also on discuss.okfn.org:
https://discuss.okfn.org/t/open-technology-week-in-cambridge-uk-8-15-june-2016-call-for-contributions-and-participation/2385

Jenny

*Open Technology Week in Cambridge (UK) 8-15 June 2016 - call for
contributions and participation*

Web version: https://www.synbio.cam.ac.uk/news/open_technology_week

Open Technology Week will showcase and celebrate open and open source
technologies developed across Cambridge and beyond. We'll be asking why
open matters, who benefits and in what contexts does greater openness make
sense across a diverse array of established and emerging areas from
synthetic biology to additive manufacturing to big data analytics.

We welcome contributions of independently organised events to take place
across the city between 8-15 June 2016, culminating in a one-day gathering
with talks and open source maker faire at the Cambridge University
Engineering Department on 15 June. The following types of events are all
welcome:

   -

   Lectures
   -

   Workshops
   -

   Demos
   -

   Hackathons
   -

   Maker evenings
   -

   + more! We particularly encourage interactive events and innovative
   formats.

Whether you're demoing your open source project or questioning the
underpinning values of the open movement, if there's a relevance to open
technologies you could join the programme. More information will be
provided at the Cafe Synthetique event
<http://www.meetup.com/Cambridge-Synthetic-Biology-Meetup/events/228401596/>
at the Panton Arms on Mon 18 April, 18:00-20:00, if you would like to join
and talk to the organisers.
Please complete this form
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/17XqEqXpKOz3vAAxinHSH6kvmAw0SnSBtGfJUyHgc7WM/viewform>
by 20 April 2016 to join the main programme.

Please note: We will provide a central hub for publicity and booking but
currently we are not able to provide additional funding or organisational
support. We will do our best to connect you with people who might be able
to collaborate and offer advice on venues etc.

What are open technologies and why are they important?

Open technologies are increasingly prevalent in society. From cell phone
operating systems to high performance computing, open source software
provides some of the most powerful tools to tackle today's challenges.
Large scale projects such as Wikipedia have demonstrated that open
standards and practice can be applied to our collective knowledge and
deliver invaluable resources to the general public. Advances in scope and
availability of Open Hardware systems such as Arduino combined with digital
fabrication techniques are boosting global maker communities and disrupting
innovation and manufacturing systems. We will feature events on open source
software, hardware, biotechnology, other technologies and also events on
open data and open knowledge more broadly.

Contacts: Dr Jenny Molloy (jcm80 at cam.ac.uk) and Katya Nikitina (
kn340 at cam.ac.uk), Department of Plant Sciences, University of Cambridge