[open-science] Open Principles in Education - Bridging Bridges, Empowering communities

Suchith Anand Suchith.Anand at nottingham.ac.uk
Sat Sep 10 00:13:09 UTC 2016

Dear colleague,

I have been invited to deliver a webinar by the Open Education community on 22 September, 2016 at 12.30PM - 1.30PM (UK time) and i would like to invite all interested to join.

I will use this opportunity to share our Geo4All experiences with the wider education community and build more synergies. Over 20 years back , i was a student in Civil Engineering in India and by pure chance i came across a short article in a magazine in my college library on the amazing Geographic Information System that is used by Town Planners . That was the first time i heard about the wonderful technology called GIS!  That time, there was no GIS where i studied but i was determined to get access to learn GIS . I still remember the struggles i went through to get access to GIS that time in India as there were very few universities who had GIS those days.  I was very lucky as by God's grace i got some amazing opportunities later to learn GIS. So now it is my duty that others also get opportunity to learn GIS .

So through this webinar , i want to share why it is important that we protect Open principles in Education and the vision 2030 for Open Geospatial Science [1][2] .  The bigger aim is to also to advance STEM education across the world and bring together schools, teachers and students across the world in joint projects and help building international understanding and global peace.

Webinar details at https://www.alt.ac.uk/civicrm/event/info?reset=1&id=249

We do not have the money /sponsorship power as some vendors but we do have amazing people power like you all  globally to make things happen. I thank you for your help in sharing Geo4All ideas. Ideas that  starts from nothing are very powerful and keeps expanding exponentially .

Best wishes,

Suchith

Dr. Suchith Anand

http://www.geoforall.org/

Geo for All - Building and expanding Open Geospatial Science

[1] http://www.geoconnexion.com/uploads/publication_pdfs/uk_v15i18-058-059-Op951AF3.pdf

[2] http://www.geoconnexion.com/publications/geo-uk/issue/sept-oct-2016/article/open-geospatial-science-and-vision-2030

University of Nottingham.

permitted by UK legislation.