[open-science] Danes step away from patenting in favour of ‘open science’ | THE News

Luc Henry luc.henry at hackuarium.ch
Thu Aug 10 07:45:18 UTC 2017

Dear Heather, dear all,

Indeed, it is an interesting step towards open source science:
http://www.e-pages.dk/aarhusuniversitet/1618/html5/

The Structural Genomic Consortium (SGC) has had this policy for a long time
now: http://www.thesgc.org/openaccess/about/details

The Montreal Neurological Institute (aka The Neuro at McGill) mentioned by
Daniel has been heavily inspired by the SGC that was founded at the
University of Toronto.

I think we should carefully, but seriously, consider open source as an
important part of open science, but it is not the panacea. From what I
observe, it works in precompetitive research, and it works with
technologies that are not the core business of an industry. Some argue that
generous licensing of a patented technology can bring more impact than open
sourcing it.

If anyone knows of any analysis on the topic, I would love to hear about it.

L.