[open-science] A new collaborative editor for open science

The Winnower jnicholson at thewinnower.com
Fri Feb 10 18:38:20 UTC 2017

Sure, happy to clarify!  Although I might disagree with your definition of
exactly what Open is/means. I think there can be a spectrum when talking
about Open and that not all requirements of yours need be met, although I
am sure that is a point of disagreement amongst many in science.

On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 1:33 PM, Peter Murray-Rust <pm286 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 5:53 PM, The Winnower <jnicholson at thewinnower.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello list!
>>
>> My name is Josh Nicholson and I work at Authorea, a startup trying to
>> improve how researchers write their manuscripts, grants etc. We've just
>> announced the release our new editor and I wanted to share it with you in
>> hopes that you find it useful and exciting
>>
>> You can see a demo of Authorea in action here: https://www.youtube.com/
>> watch?v=Qa1ObxI_dqU
>>
>> A few interesting points:
>> 1. Each article is a git repository that allows advanced version control
>> and data management
>> 2. You can write in Markdown, LaTeX, or Richtext
>> 3. We offer direct submission to a growing list of journals
>> 4. We are the only HTML preprint server.
>>
>> You can test it yourself here: https://www.authorea.com/signup
>>
>> I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have too!
>>

> [I comment since this list is run by the Open Knowledge (Foundation) and
> promotes materials and processes consistent with the Open Definition which
> it also manages. This is not intended to be confrontational, but to resolve
> clarity in the light of many inappropriate uses of "Open" to promote
> products and organisations.]
>
> Could you please clarify exactly in what way this is or is not Open
> Science? (I note that the Wikipedia article on Authorea describes it as
> supporting "open science" but it is unclear how. It may well be Open
> Science, in which case fine, but I cannot find this on the site). I have
> helped to create the OKI's  Open Definition opendefinition.org ("free to
> use, re-use, and redistribute") and note that simply "gratis" is not
> "Open". In general Open materials and services are guaranteed by licences
> or contractual clauses. I would not describe science published under an
> open access licence as de facto Open science. Also a tool generating open
> access articles is not, de facto, Open unless its licence complies with the
> Open Definition.  (If this were true, then Microsoft Word could be
> described as an Open Science tool. Similarly any collaborative tool used
> for science - such as Google Docs could be described as "Open Science").
>
> * is the source code Open? (OSI-compliant)

We have parts of the codebase open sourced:
https://github.com/Authorea/texstyles

> * is all the content Open (can it be downloaded without further
> permissions)?

This is at the author's discretion, similar to bioRxiv.

* are the processes openly scrutinisable and transparent?

Again, at the author's discretion but in general, yes.

> * is there *specific* support for Open Science in the tool.

Yes, we allow researchers to upload and share postprints/preprints as
online web documents, not just PDF or Word.

> And, though this is a complex subject, is there any contractual legal
> instrument ("Open lock") that prevents the tool or organization being sold
> to a for-profit commercial company?

We are a for-profit company.