[open-science] A new collaborative editor for open science

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Feb 10 19:02:42 UTC 2017

On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 6:38 PM, The Winnower <jnicholson at thewinnower.com>
wrote:

> Sure, happy to clarify!  Although I might disagree with your definition of
> exactly what Open is/means. I think there can be a spectrum when talking
> about Open and that not all requirements of yours need be met, although I
> am sure that is a point of disagreement amongst many in science.

The point is that this list is run by the Open Knowledge Foundation which
has spent several years defining precisely what Open means. There is
widespread adoption of this definition by governments, many funders, some
publishers, all F/LOSS activity. Readers of this list would expect "Open"
to be consistent with the OD.

> On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 1:33 PM, Peter Murray-Rust <pm286 at cam.ac.uk>
> wrote:
>

>> * is the source code Open? (OSI-compliant)
>>

> We have parts of the codebase open sourced: https://github.com/Authorea/
> texstyles

Code which includes closed source cannot be described as Free/Open source

>> * is all the content Open (can it be downloaded without further
>> permissions)?
>>

> This is at the author's discretion, similar to bioRxiv.

That does not make the whole "open" -

> * are the processes openly scrutinisable and transparent?
>>

> Again, at the author's discretion but in general, yes.
>

>> * is there *specific* support for Open Science in the tool.
>>

> Yes, we allow researchers to upload and share postprints/preprints as
> online web documents, not just PDF or Word.

A "web document" is no more Open or closed than a publicly visible PDF or
Word document. This would be determined by the copyright statements or
licence.. By your definition any  organization publishing publicly visible
documents on the web can describe itself as "Open Science" and the term
becomes meaningless. That is what the OKF has been working to clarify

P.

Reader Emeritus in Molecular Informatics
Unilever Centre, Dept. Of Chemistry