[open-science] Let us denonce the pseudo-open Public Library of Science

Paola Di Maio paola.dimaio at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 14:58:18 UTC 2017

Heather,
thanks -  I did not intend to start a challenge :-)
But let me reply quickly-

> 1. Does open data facilitate replicability? I argue that it does not. At
> most, open data permits repeat analysis of the same data. This is a good
> thing, but it is not replication. To replicate a study, one must repeat the
> study, sometimes with variations to eliminate limitations of prior studies,
> gather new data.

to replicate a study, one must repeate the study -
ssuming that by 'study' you mean the application of a methodology

 but to replicate the result of a study, one needs the  exact data that the
study has used. what about if I get different results from the same study
(method)?  what would that imply?

> 2. Does replicability depend on open data? I argue that it does not.
> Studies have been replicated as long as science has existed. If I add salt
> to water, I get salt water. Anyone with salt and water can replicate this
> experiment. People figured this and many other things out a long time
> before open data became possible.

How much salt? what kind of water? (mineral analysis) under what
conditions? (temperature, altitude, pressure, other conditions)
so grossly speaking yes, add salt to water and you get salt water, but
subtly speaking, no, you need all the data of the experiment to replicate
it exactly

 points 4. and 5, do not relate to anything I said  - not all science is
replicable (nor falsifiable) yet some replicability may be essential to
prove the scientific validity of some claims.

Can all scientifically valid phenomena be replicated exactly?
Does all research produce scientifically valid findings?
I dont think so -

But these (interesting) points do not belong to this thread perhaps

(apologies for the typos btw-  crossing wires in the brain)

:-0