[open-science] Foundations for Open Scholarship Strategy Development

Jon Tennant jon.tennant.2 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 05:29:28 UTC 2018

Dear everyone,

With apologies for cross-posting.

I am happy to share with you the first formally published version of
the Open Scholarship Strategy:
https://zenodo.org/record/1323437#.W17HXNL7RPY

"The purpose of this document is to provide a concise analysis of where the
global Open Scholarship movement currently stands: what the common threads
and strengths are, where the greatest opportunities and challenges lie, and
how we can more effectively work together as a global community to
recognise the
top strategic priorities."

The main document is available in a range of formats: markdown, R markdown,
Epub, iPython notebook, open document text, PDF, rich-text format, LaTeX,
plain text, xml, and html. Comments and contributions to the next version
are welcome through THIS MARKDOWN FILE
<https://github.com/Open-Scholarship-Strategy/site/blob/master/index.Rmd>,
or if you are uncomfortable with traditional Git-based workflows, through
the issue tracker HERE
<https://github.com/Open-Scholarship-Strategy/site/issues>.

In addition to the above, the pilot module for the Open Science MOOC
<https://github.com/OpenScienceMOOC/Module-5-Open-Research-Software-and-Open-Source/tree/master/content_development#module-5-content-development>,
Open Source and Open Research Software, is now open for community feedback.
We would welcome comments and criticisms
<https://github.com/OpenScienceMOOC/Module-5-Open-Research-Software-and-Open-Source/issues>
from anyone interested, and all realms of scholarly communication!

Best,

Jon

*  Rogue Palaeontologist, PhD, MEarthSci, MSc*

   - Founder of *paleorXiv* <https://paleorxiv.org/>, a free digital
   publishing platform for Palaeontology
   - Companion Website <https://paleorxiv.github.io/>
   - Founder of the *Open Science MOOC
   <https://opensciencemooc.github.io/site/>*
      - Project development on GitHub <https://github.com/OpenScienceMOOC>
   - Freelance science communicator and consultant
   - Author of Excavate! Dinosaurs
      <http://www.amazon.co.uk/Excavate-Dinosaurs-Paper-Toy-Palaeontology/dp/178240144X>
and
      World of Dinosaurs (coming 2018)
   - Executive Editor of Geoscience Communication
   <https://www.geoscience-communication.net/>
   - Editor for the PLOS Paleo Community <http://blogs.plos.org/paleocomm/>

*Personal website <http://fossilsandshit.com/> - Home of the Green Tea and
Velociraptors blog.*