[open-science] Module 1 of the Open Science MOOC, Open Principles, is now LIVE!

Jon Tennant jon.tennant.2 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 8 12:59:58 UTC 2019

Hi folks,

Apologies for cross-posting, but, in case you couldn't work it out from the
subject heading... Module 1 of the Open Science MOOC is now LIVE!
https://eliademy.com/catalog/oer/module-1-open-principles.html

Twitter announcement:
https://twitter.com/OpenScienceMOOC/status/1115174234551144448

Rationale:

We live in a really exciting time for global research! All around the world
are whispers of Open Science, also sometimes called Open Scholarship or
Open Research. Often, the values and principles that underpin open research
practices include things such as inclusivity, equity, and freedom. These
are key to developing a sense of shared understanding of open science
within the global research community, as well as connections with the wider
'open movement'.

On the other hand, Open Science is often described as a set of research
practices, divided into two main parts. The first is output-based, and
includes things such as sharing code and data, as well as making research
articles themselves freely available. The second is process-based, and more
about adding more methodological transparency to improve things such as
reproducibility. In this module, we want to step back a bit from this
practical view of open science, and focus on the principles.

To help get things kicked off, we have spoken with 6 researchers from every
corner of the globe: Indonesia, Hungary, USA, Australia, Ecuador, and
Benin. These are their open science stories. Starring: Paola Masuzzo,
Erzsébet Tóth-Czifra, Justin Sègbédji Ahinon, Dasapta Erwin Irawan, Ashley
Farley, Eva Lantsoght, and Cooper Smout
<https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/openheroes?source=feed_text&epa=HASHTAG&__xts__%5B0%5D=68.ARCDK8NghVnXkDhM7AWb8UMYiguaFoqo6oKtbgK1qvqkcTu7GwSVhwsskyCPPIOBtvtTr1eKUPh0QkmpFsQcOoMdb8ZKvfoq7K52vEpaACrYgqn6iLyvetesJtQkcZc7Yd9LI2-m1sNXjsHvrYXMRQRRUPlNSuAU7mhj6io0vCuPjLkFZDESpPlu4nR44G8NQ475ex5JgXXVmnfHRc2JTVwg3sIVj3N0-1QtR9kEb1IcE9V83T4j7wR8k3sOWmfMZivHPA3aHgY7Kk1dLk1Yg2C-tnQGS_M-aJ133Z8Szp3-R-M6RnVtXZYL-CEFN-m9xa8CBLFKABnIH1NQJbTEmN6cpVgU&__tn__=%2ANK-R>.
(also available here https://youtu.be/qZ_NMoWrpm4)

A quick reminder about some key elements of the MOOC:

   - It's totally free for anyone to participate
   - All content is also freely available and openly licensed outside of
   the course itself for re-use
   - Pretty much entirely volunteer-driven
   - You get a sweet certificate for each module you complete
   - The big C is more for Community for us - join our open Slack group to
   find out more! https://osmooc.herokuapp.com/

Therefore, we welcome you all to participate in this and join our growing
community! Either by participating in the module itself, providing
feedback, joining in discussions online, helping us to get out the word, or
however you wish. The point is, all are welcome!

Best, and have a great week,

Jon

*Rogue Palaeontologist; PhD, MEarthSci, MSc*

*Latest paper*: Ten myths around open scholarly publishing
<https://peerj.com/preprints/27580/>

   - Founder of the Open Science MOOC -* Join us today
   <https://eliademy.com/catalog/oer/module-5-open-research-software-and-open-source.html>!
   *(open Slack <https://osmooc.herokuapp.com/> channel)

<https://eliademy.com/catalog/catalog/product/view/sku/02d7338a7e>

   - Founder of *paleorXiv* <https://paleorxiv.org/>, a free, open source
   digital publishing platform for all Palaeontology research
   - Companion Website <https://paleorxiv.github.io/>
   - Independent open science communicator and consultant
   <http://fossilsandshit.com/open-scholarship/>
   - Author of Excavate! Dinosaurs
      <http://www.amazon.co.uk/Excavate-Dinosaurs-Paper-Toy-Palaeontology/dp/178240144X>
and